OUT THIS WEEK
BoDeans, “Thirteen” (Free & Alive). They’ll probably always be associated with Milwaukee, but the band that rose to prominence in the 1980s for its rootsy brand of American rock ’n’ roll has had strong local ties since co-founder Kurt Neumann (the sole remaining original member) moved to Austin in the mid-1990s. “Thirteen,” which is, yes, the 13th BoDeans album, features Neumann playing almost all the instruments, with the exception of Austinites Stefano Intelisano on piano on “My Hometown” and Bukka Allen on accordion on “Maggie’s Bar.” The music is straight up the alley of classic BoDeans records from the past, with strong hooks centered on Neumann’s richly melodic voice. “Sway,” placed near the middle of the record, is a gorgeous instrumental that helps to broaden the album’s perspective. Here’s the leadoff track, “My Hometown”:
Kiko Villamizar, “Aguas Frias” (Peligrosa). American-Statesman writer Deborah Sengupta Stith observes: “With most of the songs built around traditional Colombian drum and flute (gaita, in Spanish) composition, Villamizar’s powerful voice carries an emotional album that he considers a prayer for the water.” Check out her full Austin360 Artist of the Month feature on Villamizar. Release show April 21 at Empire. Here’s the title track, performed in our Statesman studio:
Ulrich Ellison & Tribe, “America.” Latest full-length release from the longtime Austin hard-edged blues-rocker and his band. Here’s the single “Running on Empty” (an original, not a cover of the Jackson Browne classic):
Emily Bell & the Talkbacks, “Kali” EP. Five selections of hard rock and pop from the former Los Angeles singer and her backing crew that includes noted guitarist John Evans. The middle tune, “Goddess of Destruction,” is the strongest, with a push-pull dynamic range between cooler verses and a cranked-up chorus. Release show April 29 at 3Ten. Here’s the leadoff track, “Can’t Talk Back”:
- APRIL 28: Willie Nelson, “God’s Problem Child” (Legacy).
- APRIL 28: Bruce Robison & the Back Porch Band, self-titled, release show April 29 at Antone’s.
- APRIL 28: Renee Woodward, “Mayfly,” release shows April 28-29 at Townsend.
- APRIL 28: Desert Culture, “They’re Not Gone.”
- APRIL 28: Tara Williamson, “Evolution One” EP, release show April 25 at Saxon Pub.
- APRIL 28: Beth // James, “All in Life” EP, release show April 27 at Lamberts.
- MAY 1: Bobby Earl Smith, “Calling Me Calling You,” release show May 6 at Broken Spoke.
- MAY 2: Terry Klein, “Great Northern,” release show May 2 at One-2-One Bar.
- MAY 12: Suzanna Choffel, “Hello Goodbye,” release show May 12 at 3Ten.
- MAY 12: Rocketboys, “Certain Circles,” playing June 3 at Mohawk.
- MAY 12: Carry Illinois, “Garage Sale,” release show May 12 at Mohawk.
- MAY 15: Altin Sencalar, “Introducing Altin Sencalar,” release show May 18 at Elephant Room.
- MAY 19: Fastball, “Step Into Light.”
- MAY 19: Jimmie Vaughan Trio featuring Mike Flanigin, “Live at C-Boy’s” (Proper).
- MAY 19: Wendy Colonna, “No Moment But Now.”
- MAY 19: Wild Now, “Afterglow” EP, release show May 19 at 3Ten.
- MAY 19: Girling, “Side 1” EP, release show May 19 at Sidewinder.
- MAY: Kay Odyssey, “What’s a Woman to Do” (Little Bit).
- JUNE 23: Slaid Cleaves, “Ghost on the Car Radio.”