Summer’s coming, and that means the annual weeks-long anniversary extravaganza at Antone’s. This one is the 42nd, but just the second at the club’s current 305 E. Fifth St. location, which opened on New Year’s Eve of 2014.
Specially dedicated to the late James Cotton and Buckwheat Zydeco, two frequent performers at the club who’ve died within the past year, the event includes 14 shows between June 30 and July 22. Individual tickets will be available online via antonesnightclub.com at 10 a.m. on Friday, May 26. The club’s adjoining store, Big Henry’s Vinyl & Gifts, will sell earlybird tickets on Thursday, May 25, from noon to 10 p.m.
Ticket prices vary for individual shows, but a limited number of $200 tickets good for the whole run also will be sold. They include entry to all official anniversary shows, five drink tickets and a commemorative silkscreen poster.
The biggest bash of the bunch is July 15, with guitar great Jimmie Vaughan & the Tilt-a-Whirl Band and rising star Dylan Bishop, plus a tribute to Doug Sahm. Other highlights include opening-weekend appearances by C.J. Chenier and Ian Moore, a tribute to James Cotton and Muddy Waters, and two nights of reunion shows by the “Dreams Come True” R&B trio of Marcia Ball, Angela Strehli and Lou Ann Barton.
Here’s the full schedule:
- June 30: Opening Weekend: C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band, Peterson Brothers
- July 1: Opening Weekend: Ian Moore & the Lossy Coils, Jimmy “Duck” Holmes
- July 6: Mississippi Night: Lightnin’ Malcolm, Stud Ford and friends
- July 7: Stan Goudeau presents Louisiana Night: Lazy Lester, T.K. Hulin, Classie Ballou, Raa-Raa & Da Zydeco Allstarz
- July 8: Tribute to James Cotton and Muddy Waters with Big Bill Morganfield, Bob Margolin, Bob Stroger, Jimmy D. Lane, Paul Oscher, Carl Weathersby, Benny Turner and Deacon Jones, plus Blues Till Two with Lazy Lester
- July 9: Miss Lavelle White’s 88th birthday with emcee Bobby Patterson, Lazy Lester, Benny Turner, Deacon Jones and more, plus Ike Stubblefield B3 Trio
- July 10: Ultimate Blue Monday with Derek O’Brien, Angela Strehli, Lazy Lester, Bobby Patterson, Ike Stubblefield and more
- July 11: “Dreams Come True” Reunion with Marcia Ball, Angela Strehli & Lou Ann Barton, plus Sue Foley Band
- July 12: “Dreams Come True” Reunion with Marcia Ball, Angela Strehli & Lou Ann Barton, plus Barbara Lynn
- July 13: W.C. Clark Blues Revue, Omar & the Howlers, Tail Gators
- July 14: Bob Schneider
- July 15: Official 42nd Anniversary Show with Jimmie Vaughan & the Tilt-a-Whirl Band and Dylan Bishop, plus a tribute to Doug Sahm with Sauce Gonzalez & the Westside Horns featuring Spot Barnett & Derek O’Brien
- July 21: Little Freddie King
- July 22: Eddie Shaw with Carl Weathersby (Eddie Shaw’s retirement party) plus Little Freddie King