Matt the Electrician, “The Doubles.” This ambitious 26-song double-disc set is the end-result of an extensive undertaking in which Matt Sever (a.k.a. the Electrician) released a series of singles in collaboration with six fellow locals: Wood & Wire, Little Brave, Dana Falconberry, Wilson Marks, Paul Curreri & Devon Sproule, and the Deer. Those dozen tracks (two songs with each act) make up the first disc; the second disc features new versions of all those songs recorded with Sever’s current trio (plus a couple of extras, including a cover of Paul Simon’s “American Tune.” Playing July 13 at Winflo. Here’s a solo acoustic version of the song “The Bear,” which he recorded with bluegrass group Wood & Wire on the album:
Madisons, “No Man’s Land.” The bio that accompanied this Austin alt-country group’s new record stresses that the band has “the freedom to make whatever music we want,” and that’s clear enough from their decision to lead off this album with a nine-and-a-half-minute stream-of-consciousness ramble spoked liberally with profanity. If you’re with them through that, you’ll probably in it for the duration, which comprises nine emotional songs of more standard structure and length, featuring multiple vocalists and instrumentation including banjo, violin and accordion. The Madisons’ no-compromise approach probably isn’t for everyone. But, to their credit, they’re not quite LIKE anyone else either. Playing July 14 at Hard Luck Lounge. Here’s the version of the title track that they submitted to NPR’s Tiny Desk Contest earlier this year:
OUT THIS WEEK
Swift Drag, “We Won’t Need That” EP. Five songs from the psych-rock duo of guitarist Will Evans and drummer David Jobe. Release show July 14 at Mohawk.
- JULY 21: Whiskey Shivers, “Some Part of Something,” in-store July 13 at Waterloo Records, release show July 22 at Mohawk.
- JULY 28: Black Heart Saints, “Alive,” release show July 28 at One-2-One Bar.
- JULY 28: Rachel Reese, “Siren” EP, release show July 25 at One-2-One Bar.
- AUG. 4: Milligan Vaughan Project, “MVP,” release show July 21 at One-2-One Bar, playing Aug. 9 on Texas Radio Live at Guero’s.
- AUG. 18: Ray Wylie Hubbard, “Tell the Devil I’m Getting There As Fast As I Can” (Bordello).
- AUG. 18: Savage Poor, “The Grown Ups,” release show July 26 at One-2-One Bar.
- AUG. 23: Jean Caffeine, “Sadie Saturday Night,” release show Sept. 1 at Hole in the Wall, in-store Sept. 3 at Antone’s Record Shop.
- AUG. 25: Fairbanks & the Lonesome Light, “Nothing to Escape.”
- SEPT. 1: Johnny Dango, “Recluse in Plain Sight.”
- OCT. 6: Whitney Rose, “Rule 62” (Six Shooter).
- NOV. 3: Jackie Venson, “Transcends” EP.