The Erwin Center is set to host a massive benefit concert featuring Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Leon Bridges, Bonnie Raitt, Lyle Lovett and more on Friday night. The first round of tickets swiftly sold out, but on Thursday, organizers quietly released a limited number of tickets. (At 10 a.m. on Friday, we were able to pull up a pair of $199 seats available for purchase.)
Even if you’re not able to snag a ticket, the good news is you can watch an hour-long special (with no commercial interruptions) featuring highlights from the concert from the comfort of your own home. The special will air at 9 p.m. (C.S.T.) Friday on Austin station KVUE. It will simultaneously stream on YouTube.com/TexasStrong, 93.3. KGSR and KVET-FM in Austin.
If you want to get closer to the action, party rocker DJ Mel will be spinning tunes at the Terrace Preshow Tent located outdoors between B and C doors on the northwest plaza of the building. The tent opens at 3 p.m. and Mel will spin from 4 to 6 p.m. The tent show is free and open to the public and beverages will be available for purchase. Sodexo will be donating all net proceeds from food and beverages purchased at the Frank Erwin Center, including at the Terrace Preshow Tent to the Rebuild Texas Foundation.
If you’re going to the show, local radio personality Andy Langer, who was involved in putting the show together, used his Facebook feed to urge concert-goers to be in their seats by the 7 p.m. start time. “We’re taping two hours ahead and while it’s a 3+-hour show overall, you’ll miss some of the biggest stuff if you’re not there right on time,” he wrote.
Proceeds from the show will benefit Rebuild Texas Fund, created by the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation in collaboration with the OneStar Foundation. Google will match the first $500,000 of donations through a pledge challenge. Viewers can donate to the Rebuild Texas Fund in multiple ways:
- TELEPHONE: Call 1-833-2-HELPTX. Volunteers from Google’s Austin office and TEGNA employees will staff the phone banks at select station locations across the state and at TEGNA’s headquarters in Virginia.
- TEXT: Text RebuildTX to 91999.
- ONLINE: Visit www.RebuildTX.org.
- BY MAIL: Please make checks payable to the OneStar Foundation and mail to the following address, with “Rebuild Texas Fund” on the check: OneStar Foundation, 9011 Mountain Ridge Drive, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78759
- OTHER: Questions related to donating via wire transfer, donations of stock, or any other donation methods can be made to the OneStar Foundation at RebuildTX@onestarfoundation.org.