OUT THIS WEEK
Otis the Destroyer, “Keep Bashing.” After a couple of EPs, the hard-rocking, punk-fueled indie band led by songwriter-guitarist Taylor Wilkins worked with noted local producer Chris “Frenchie” Smith on its first full-length release. Backing Wilkins are guitarist Anthony Rucci, drummer Clellan Hyatt and bassists Kyle Robarge and Andrew Dalton. Wilkins is just back from Europe, where he played solo shows as part of the this year’s Project ATX6 collective, in time for the band’s record-release show Friday (Sept. 29) at Hotel Vegas. Here’s the title track:
Jackie Venson, “Transcends” EP. Elements of rock, soul, blues, pop and more wind through the danceable grooves of this five-song release from the fast-rising local singer-songwriter and guitarist. She’s inclined toward socially conscious lyrics, as on “Fight,” in which she vows to “open my eyes and fight the good fight.” It’s been a big year for Venson, who spent quite a bit of time on the road opening for Gary Clark Jr. She’ll follow two more Clark shows this weekend with tour dates in the Northeast and South before returning for a record-release show Nov. 5 at Antone’s. Here’s the video for the track “Flying”:
Monk Parker, “Crown of Sparrows.” With six long-ish songs that clock in at just over 30 minutes total, this falls somewhere between an EP and a full-length album. Parker writes hauntingly elusive, deeply moody material and draws upon some of the city’s most creative musicians to help him realize his vision here, including multi-instrumentalist Kellen Fuchs, Mother Falcon string players Nick Gregg and Diana Burgess, steel players Bob Hoffnar and Adam Torres, and backing vocalist Dana Falconberry. Release show Sept. 29 at Mohawk. Here’s the title track:
- OCT. 6: Bill Carter, self-titled, pre-release show Sept. 27 at Antone’s.
- OCT. 6: Whitney Rose, “Rule 62” (Six Shooter).
- OCT. 20: Willie, Lukas & Micah Nelson, “Willie and the Boys: Willie’s Stash, Vol. 2” (Legacy).
- OCT. 20: Porter & the Bluebonnet Rattlesnakes, “Don’t Go Baby, It’s Gonna Get Weird Without You” (Cornelius Chapel), release show Oct. 21 at Stay Gold.
- OCT. 20: Tommy Howard, “Storybook” (Destiny), release show Oct. 22 at Elephant Room.
- NOV. 1: Brian Pounds, “Southern Writer,” release show Nov. 16 at Cactus Cafe.
- NOV. 3: Drew Kennedy, “At Home in the Big Lonesome,” playing Dec. 12 at Gruene Hall.
- NOV. 17: Reveleros, self-titled, release show Nov. 17 at Good Shepherd on the Hill.