OUT THIS WEEK
Good Field, “Surface Tension.” The third release from guitarist/singer Paul Price’s band arose from writing sessions in the West Texas desert, and some of that wide-open psychedelia seems to have bloomed on these 10 tracks. Working with engineer-producer Justin Douglas but also getting help in the studio from Spoon’s Jim Eno and White Denim’s James Petralli, the band puts its own distinctive spin on Austin indie-rock. In-store Jan. 26 at Waterloo Records. Here’s the video for the title track:
PR Newman, “Turn Out.” The debut of the latest project from Austin indie musician Spencer Garland includes the rhythm section of bassist Sam Pankey and Jordan Cook, plus trumpeters Mike St. Clair and Brendon Bond and Sophie Molinari on banjo. Release show Jan. 25 at Cheer Up Charlie’s. Here’s the track “Everything”:
Mamafesta, “Creatures of Rhythm.” Solid groove rhythms and occasional blasts of brass define the jam-friendly sound of this quartet featuring guitarist/singer Lowell Carrico, keyboardist/saxophonist Zack Morgan, bassist Logan Dance and drummer Vince Seidl. Also contributing are trumpeter Wyatt Corder, trombonist William Wright and percussionist Grego Loboz. Playing Jan. 25 at Stubb’s indoor. Here’s the track “Lose Yourself”:
- FEB. 2: Mike & the Moonpies, “Steak Night at the Prairie Rose,” release show Jan. 27 at Sam’s Town Point, in-store Feb. 21 at Waterloo Records.
- FEB. 2: Lisa Morales, “Luna Negra and the Daughter of the Sun,” release show Feb. 3 at One-2-One Bar.
- FEB. 2: Various artists, “The Stacks: Songs from the Oasis.”
- FEB. 3: Big Fix, self-titled EP, release show Feb. 3 at Townsend.
- FEB. 9: Wild Child, “Expectations” (Dualtone), release show Feb. 10 at Empire.
- FEB. 9: Curtis Roush, “Cosmic Campfire Music” (Modern Outsider), in-store Feb. 8 at Waterloo Records.
- FEB. 9: Abhi the Nomad, “Marbled” (Tommy Boy).
- FEB. 9: Jerry David DeCicca, “Time the Teacher” (Impossible Ark), release show Feb. 10 at Beerland.
- FEB. 9: Wade Bowen, “Solid Ground.”
- FEB. 9: Jeff Bryant, “Sleeping With the Lights On.”
- FEB. 16: Loma, self-titled (Sub Pop).
- FEB. 22: Arielle LaGuette, “Settle For You” EP, release show Feb. 22 at Stubb’s indoor.
- FEB. 23: Shawn Colvin, “The Starlighter” (Amazon).
- FEB. 24: Wilson Marks, “Peregrine,” release show Feb. 24 at Cactus Cafe.
- FEBRUARY: Sharks in the Deep End, EP.
- MARCH 2: Sue Foley, “The Ice Queen” (Stony Plain).
- MARCH 9: Uncle Walt’s Band, “Anthology: Those Boys From Carolina, They Sure Could Sing” (Omnivore).
- MARCH 16: Caroline Says, “No Fool Like an Old Fool” (Western Vinyl).
- MARCH 23: Erika Wennerstrom, “Sweet Unknown” (Partisan).
- MARCH 23: Johnny Chops & the Razors, self-titled.
- APRIL 13: Josh T. Pearson, “The Straight Hits!” (Mute).
- APRIL 14: Andy Macintyre, “Melomania” EP, release show April 14 at Antone’s.
- APRIL 20: Arkansas Dave, self-titled (Big Indie).
- APRIL 27: Mobley, “Fresh Lies, Vol. 1.”
- MAY 4: Shakey Graves, “Can’t Wake Up” (Dualtone).